When Halloween is approaching, we’re all getting ready with fancy dresses and tons of candies served here and there. While it’s a fun time for humans, pets might encounter some serious problems. Food poisoning is the most widespread problem during this holiday. Did you know that some products are simply dangerous for your dog to eat even in small quantities? Find out with or Halloween dog food safety guide which foods are a no-no for your canine friend no matter how desperately he or she is begging for it.
Keep sweets out of reach
As a responsible pet owner, you might be well aware that candies are no good for four-legged pals. However, the complications aren’t limited by diarrhea and vomiting – the consequences might be far more dramatic. For example, chocolate may cause abnormal heart rhythm & death. Xylitol, a popular sugar replacement option, can cause liver damage.
Avoid the following foods:
- Chocolate. This product has a lot of natural stimulants that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abnormal heart rhythm. All that can lead to lethal outcomes. If your dog has already eaten chocolate, check the petMD Chocolate Toxicity Meter to make sure the safe dosage was not exceeded. Otherwise, contact the veterinarian right away.
- Raisins and grapes. Those seem to be safe, but there are some toxic components that can cause vomiting and kidney failure in pets.
- Candy corn. The small candies can either cause choking or lead to gastrointestinal problems.
- Caramel apples might cause choking and stomach upset.
- Bakery. With flour and sugar mixed with something sweet, cookies become quite a dangerous treat for your dog. Such products can cause stomach upset.
- Sugar-free chewing gum, mints, lollipops. Most of them are based on such chemicals as xylitol and may have an impact on liver function and overall health.
- Hard candies. They not only contain a huge amount of sugar but can also clamp up in the stomach causing intestinal obstruction.
Especially be careful with puppies: they may be even more sensitive to uncommon foods; puppies should eat puppy food just like kittens should eat specialized kitten food. Also, puppies have more energy and are more curious so they are more likely to steal the forbidden food.
No wrappers and sticks
That concerns all family members, especially kids. A fancy colorful wrapper is a real bait for a dog. While playing with and chewing on it, a pet can swallow the trash. Plastic, paper, cellophane, and sticks may cause stomach upset or even obstruct bowels. Foil wrappers are especially dangerous: they can act like a razor when getting into the stomach.
So, please, let your children ferret the candy buckets in some separate area and make sure that all the trash is thrown immediately. Do not let it be scattered over the house. Consider a hard-to-reach place for all the sweet goodness after Halloween is over.
Think twice before making Jack-O’-Lanterns
If your dog loves chewing on the pumpkin, it won’t resist taking a bite of glowing Jack-O’-Lanterns. So before you rush to carve scary faces, make sure it’s worth the risk. Eaten in large amounts, pumpkin can cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. While walking your dog, don’t let it assault the neighbors’ fancy backyards, too.
No alcohol for your pal
Your dog might get very interested in alcoholic beverages served during Halloween. With spices and fruits emitting luring smells, who can resist trying a sip? That can seem fun for you, too, but don’t share your glass with your pet! Any alcoholic beverage can be very toxic for a dog and causes a whole range of dangerous symptoms from bloating to respiratory failure.
Call emergency in case of poisoning
If you see your dog showing the signs of poisoning, contact your veterinarian or animal poison control. The symptoms of intoxication include:
- Loss of coordination
- Fast heartbeat
While waiting for emergency help, ensure your dog’s rest and don’t give it anything except for water, if asked for.
While trick-or-treating your friends and family, don’t forget about the canine friends. Being attracted by rustling colorful wrappers and fancy-smelling sweets, your dog will be lured to chew on the newly found treasures. Don’t let it happen. The side effects and outcomes of eating toxic food might spoil your entire holiday.
Don’t let anxiety or boredom become a reason for poisoning. Try being creative, for example, you can distract your dog with a YouTube game for pets that keeps it entertained and brings no harm.
Eat responsibly. Even if a four-legged pal is begging for your Halloween yummy, better serve it meaty dog treats. W hope that our Halloween Dog Food Safety Guide helps you understand that your pet’s bowl is not a place for human food.